Mattermost - Features, Pricing, Alternatives, and More
Your team chat app is one of your company's most important tools. It's the place your team works online, where everything from important decisions to casual chats happen. There's private information, important files, and the record behind why your company is the way it is today.
That's too important to leave to chance. And with Mattermost, you can keep all of your team's important chat data securely hosted on your own servers.
Mattermost gives you the same core features as other team chat apps. There are public channels and private direct messages, with Markdown support to format your channel descriptions and the chat messages themselves. And if that's not enough to organize your conversations, Mattermost lets you add as many teams as you want. That way, you could have a company-wide Mattermost team for core conversations, then specific Mattermost teams for your dev and marketing departments—or even for smaller one-off projects—each with their own channels and direct message conversations.
The core chat is simple enough to use. @mention others to notify them about your message, or tap the Reply icon on the right of any message to quote it in your reply, forum-style. From each message's menu, you can pin important messages to the channel, where they'll be included in the Pinned sidebar for everyone to see. Or tap the Flag button to save posts for your own use later. You can share files, and keep up with chats on the go with Mattermost's mobile apps.
The biggest differences come from the admin side. When setting up Mattermost on your own servers, you can import a full Slack account—complete with your old accounts, channels, and chat messages. And, you can customize most of the features in Mattermost to fit the way your team works. Choose your team's language, set the email server you want to use, select where files are stored, pick whether team members can edit their messages or not, add company-wide announcements, and have your team sign in the way you want. With the enterprise edition, you can even use database clusters to scale your chat server and make it work with as many users as you need. The source code for Mattermost's mobile apps is open source as well, letting your team make custom builds of every part of Mattermost to precisely fit your needs.
Or, you could just install the core Mattermost chat tools and run with them using their out-of-the-box settings. It's a great way to chat as a team for any team—especially those who need the most customized chat experience.
See how Mattermost stacks up to the competition in our roundup of the Best Team Chat Apps.
Do More With Mattermost
- Host your team's own chat app with team chat and direct messages
- Migrate existing chats, channels, users, and themes from Slack
- Build Mattermost into your team's workflow with Active Directory, Okta, and LDAP logins, compliance reporting, and multi-factor login
- Customize your chats with bots, themes, and custom emoji
- iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, Linux, and Web apps available
- Free open source Team edition
- $20/year per user Enterprise E10 plan for support, Active Directory sign-on, encrypted push notifications, and custom branding
- $80/year per user Enterprise E20 plan for E10 features plus compliance exports, Okta single sign-on, and advanced data center support