Skilljar - Features, Pricing, Alternatives, and More
The world is waking to the possibilities for education when you’re not confined to learning new skills within the four walls of a school or workplace. With online education, businesses can train staff that may work remotely or don’t have the capacity or time to get everyone together to train at once—and can also make courses to train customers on how to use their products. Freelancers are also starting to capitalize on this type of learning to be able to monetize teaching a specific skillset to people. Suddenly, learning management systems aren’t just for educational institutions: they’re for anyone that wants to teach anything.
That’s what makes Skilljar unique. It’s a learning management system that’s designed to target the new educational market in freelance educators and business training, but is still flexible enough to be used in the educational world.
It starts with multimedia—perhaps the most important tool to teach something remotely. With Skilljar you can upload your own video to use with their streaming player, or you can also add video from YouTube, Vimeo, Brightcove and other video hosting sources. Additionally, you can add audio to enhance your lesson, along with PDFs or other files (perhaps sample designs or lecture notes) for students to download. One of the many perks of Skilljar is that you can add unlimited content with every plan, which can come in handy if you are going to be using a lot of multimedia in your course.
Everything doesn’t have to be recorded, though, thanks to Skilljar’s Live Training feature. One of the biggest criticisms I hear about online training is that you don’t have the luxury of having a teacher there when you need to ask a question. While this is true, Skilljar tries to alleviate this problem by through its Live Training feature, which lets instructors schedule a date and time with students to interact with them online. Students can pick the time that works best for them, then watch live webinars and interact with the instructor through Skilljar’s web app.
Skilljar includes everything you need to build your courses—content creation tools, assessments, analytics, e-commerce, and more. No matter what you want to teach—or whether you want to use courses to onboard customers, train staff, or teach others your skills—Skilljar can meet the needs of just about anyone who is looking to create an online course.
Do More With Skilljar
- Create an online course with video, audio, and text files
- Schedule live training events where the instructor can be present online with students.
- Use a variety of quizzes and surveys to assess student learning and to get valuable feedback.
- Gamification features to enhance learning
- Customize course with theme colors, personal domain, custom branding, and more
- Discussion forums for peer-to-peer or teacher-student interaction
- Free one month trial
- $500/month Basic plan for up to 250 users, plus $1000 one-time fee for Onboarding
- $1000/month Pro plan for up to 500 users, plus $3000 one-time fee for Onboarding
- $2000/month Enterprise plan for up to 1000 users, plus $5000 one-time fee for Onboarding