The ultimate guide to remote work
Zapier is a 100% distributed company with over 800 teammates across 40 countries. Here are all our tips for how to make remote work a success.
Remote work topics
We've divided our tips for remote work into seven categories. Click on the category you need help with, or scroll down for a list of all of our articles.
Automation for remote work
These articles will give you ideas for how to automate remote work processes. You can use them to streamline your work and stay connected from home.
Teamwork on a remote team
When you're not sitting a few feet from your coworkers, communication and collaboration don't come as naturally. Here we have tips for how to work together on your remote team.
- How to brainstorm remotely
- 7 strategies for running effective remote meetings
- 5 tips for communicating on a remote team
- How to make small talk when working remotely (without being weird)
- Remote team activities: how to have fun when you work from home
- How to collaborate across time zones
- Why remote work makes disagreement hard—and how to do it anyway
- Remote design: How Zapier is building a distributed design culture
- How to work in different timezones
Remote work for managers
Managing remotely is about building trust and a culture of accountability. Here are some tips for how to manage remote workers.
- 7 tips for managing remote employees
- How to build trust on a remote team
- Why remote work shouldn't mean micromanaging—and what to do instead
- How to transition to remote work in a hurry
- Friday updates: Why we do it and how you can too
- How to build culture in a remote team
- A guide to onboarding remote employees
- How to manage a remote team
- How to hire a remote team
- How successful remote teams evaluate employees: A look inside Automattic, GitHub, and Help Scout
- How to run a company retreat for a remote team
- Add remote workers to your business continuity plan
- Lead your remote team like a magician by conquering these 5 cognitive biases
- How to make virtual meetings fun
- How to implement a hybrid work model
- How to support your employees who are working remotely with kids at home
- How to run virtual icebreakers that actually work
Remote work for employees
If you're worried about productivity in remote work, these articles will give you strategies to be sure you're getting things done when working from home.
- Want to keep working from home? Here's how to ask.
- How to survive on a Slack that's way too busy
- When should you mute yourself during a video call?
- Beyond 9 to 5: A glimpse into some unusual work from home schedules
- Don't work too much when you work from home
- Here's what happens when you work from home without a routine
- 18 work from home tips other companies won't tell you
- 3 things I learned in my first year of remote work
- How to avoid burnout in a remote team
- How to thrive as an extrovert on a remote team
- Lessons learned from working remotely as an accountant
- The remote work survival guide
- The 7 biggest remote work challenges—and how to overcome them
- Be productive anywhere: 8 proven strategies for better remote work
- How to work faster in a remote team
- How to build strong relationships in a remote team
- How to be a good coworker to your pets
- How calls with random coworkers make remote work better—and more productive
- 5 remote team activities that aren't Zoom happy hours
- Collaborate like a kid: What preschoolers can teach us about adjusting to remote work
- 13 work from home lunch ideas worth taking a break for
If you're used to working in an office, working from home can throw you for a loop. Here you can read about how to make your home office—or wherever you're working—the most productive space possible.
Remote work tools
When working remotely, you'll need more apps than you're used to—to stay connected and get things done efficiently. Here are some tips for remote work tools. For more tips like these, take a look at all of our best app roundups, app comparisons, and app tips.
- The best online whiteboards
- The best video conferencing apps for teams
- Zoom vs. GoTo Meeting
- Zoom vs. Google Meet
- 18 tips and tricks for Zoom
- Google Meet vs. Google Hangouts vs. Google Chat
- The best screen sharing software
- Work from home apps: The 15 tools we use most at Zapier
- The remote workers' toolkit: 30+ productivity apps and tools
- Remote working: 8 items for every remote worker's wish list
- Slack, Zoom, and other apps go offline sometimes—make sure you have a plan
The state of remote work
Remote work is growing in popularity. Read about the state of remote work and how it benefits workers.
Finding remote work
Looking to find a remote work job? Here are some tips to get you going in the right direction.
- How to find and get hired for a remote job
- 25+ fully remote companies that let you work from anywhere