Dropbox Help & Support
What Dropbox Triggers and Actions are Supported?
- New Folder - Triggers when a new folder is added. Make sure the number of files/folders in the watched folder does not exceed 4000.
- New File in Folder - Triggers when a new file is added to a folder. Make sure the number of files/folders in the watched folder does not exceed 4000.
- Create Folder - Creates a brand new folder at the path you specify.
- Create Shared Link - Creates a shared link for a file.
- Create or Append to Text File - Adds a new line to an existing text file, or creates a file if it doesn't exist.
- Upload File - Upload an existing file or attachment not bigger than 100 MB.
- Create Text File - Creates a brand new text file from plain text content you specify.
- Find Folder - Finds a folder by name. Make sure the number of files/folders in the watched folder does not exceed 4000.
- Find File (Content Search) - Searches for files in a folder that match a search term in the contents or name. Requires a Dropbox Business account.
- Find File - Search for a specific file by name. Make sure the number of files/folders in the watched folder does not exceed 4000.
How to Get Started With Dropbox
The first thing you'll need to do is connect your Dropbox Account to Zapier. After you sign up and start creating the Zap you want, Zapier will ask you to start the process:
The Dropbox account that you are logged into will be displayed next asking you to confirm Zapier's access:
Finally, you'll be redirected back to Zapier and the Account will have been added and tested, if everything is good to go you'll see this:
Now you can continue creating your Zap.
Popular Things to Do With Dropbox
Common Problems With Dropbox
Files Uploaded to a Subdirectory Aren't Detected#
Unfortunately this is a current limitation of our integration with Dropbox, we only detect files that are dropped directly in the specified folder when setting up the zap. So if a new upload creates a folder and puts a file in it, the zap won't be triggered.
Folder contains more entries than file_limit (4000)#
Right now, you can only watch for new files in a Dropbox folder if the folder has less than 4000 items in it. You'll receive a hard-error from Dropbox (and the Zap will not work) as soon as you go over this limit. We're working on increasing this though.
Stuck in Upload Loop#
This error commonly occurs when uploading very large files. Unfortunately, our Dropbox integration cannot handle files over 100 MB, so you'll need to try and reduce your file size or move them over to Dropbox manually.
Uploading a file creates a text file instead of what I expect#
The Dropbox app requires file objects to be passed along during a Zap, and will not download files from a URL. One may consider using a Gmail 'Send Email' action as you can provide a public URL and create a file object that Dropbox can use.
File field is missing from the returned data for the New File in Folder trigger#
Although other data for the new file is retrieved when triggered, the file itself is not pulled to our platform when its size is above 100 MB. This will cause other steps depending on the file field to fail.
To get around this, you can set the "Include file contents?" field to NO to exclude the file contents, and use the "Direct Media URL" field provided by Dropbox instead of the "File" field:
Need More Help? - Our support team is happy to help -- send us a message