Twitter Help & Support
What Twitter Triggers and Actions are Supported?
- Search Mention - Triggers when any user creates a new Tweet that contains a specific search term (like a word, phrase, username or hashtag).
- My Tweet - Triggers when you tweet something new.
- Search & Geo Mention - Triggers from mention of search term in a specific geo location.
- Tweet in List - Triggers when there is a new tweet in a specific list you choose.
- New Follower - Triggers when a user of your choosing gets a new follower.
- User Tweet - Triggers when a specific user tweets.
- Liked Tweet - Triggers when a specific user likes a tweet.
- New Follower of Me - Triggers when you get a new follower.
- Update Profile Image - Creates a new update profile image.
- Create Tweet - Creates a tweet.
- Add User to List - Adds a user to one of your lists.
- Create Image Tweet - Creates a tweet with an image.
- Search Users - Finds information about a specific user.
How to Get Started with Twitter
About Twitter's Integration#
- Admin/owner permissions - None
- Paid/versioned account - None
- Partner’s Documentation: https://help.twitter.com/en
Connecting with Twitter#
To get started with Twitter, first click to connect a Twitter account in your zap.
It will then ask you if you want to follow Zapier's Twitter account. You can either choose yes or no here.
You should then get a pop-up window from Twitter asking you to log-in to authorize the connection between that Twitter account and Zapier.
After logging in, you'll get sent back to your zap where you now have your Twitter account connected!
Popular Things to do with Twitter
Common Problems with Twitter
I get an error "Unable to create tweet, duplicate of existing tweet detected" when using the Create Tweet or Create Image Tweet actions#
Before posting updates to Twitter, a Zap will first check that the same post hasn't been made by any Zaps under the same Zapier user's account. The error message means that the same status was posted by either the same Zap or another Zap. Twitter has strict policies on automation and the use of multiple accounts as detailed in this post
Using Zapier as a Twitter Auto-Responder#
A Zap that auto-responds to search mentions is a violation of Twitter's policies for automation.
Twitter’s policy doesn’t allow replies or mentions in response to search mentions. If your Zap has a Search Mention trigger and an action that sends a Tweet to that user’s @username, the Tweet will be posted but the @ will be removed.
Twitter’s policies for automation don't allow @replies in response to search mentions. Here’s a link that discusses Twitter’s policies for using automations with their platform: https://support.twitter.com/articles/76915#replies-mentions.
Do I include the "@" symbol?#
The User Tweet, Favorited Tweet, and New Follower triggers will all ask for a 'Username' when setting up that trigger. You can specify the username with the preceding "@" or not. Both formats (e.g. '@zapier' or 'zapier') will work correctly.
Excluding Retweets from Search#
If you do not want retweets to be included as part of your twitter Zap, you can add the following filter to exclude them from search:
Retweeted Status User Name | Does Not Exist
You can read more about adding custom filters to your Zap here.
'Received response with content-encoding: gzip, but failed to decode it.', error('Error -2 while decompressing: inconsistent stream state' Error#
This error occurs when a URL isn't a direct URL of an image/does not have an image file extension is sent to be the 'Image URL' for a Tweet. Make sure what you're passing into the Image field is a file object or a publicly accessible URL of an image.
Tweets that shouldn't meet the search criteria trigger my Search Mention zap#
The Twitter Search Mention trigger doesn't work exactly like the native search within Twitter. You can get more info on how the search function works from Twitter here. If you want to modify the way the search works, you can use the Query Operators outlined in this link to limit the results.
I'm getting a "Status is over 140 characters" error even though my status is not that long#
Twitter counts each link and photo as 24 characters, leaving only 116 characters for your status. For example, if you have an image tweet with no links, you'll need to shorten the tweet content to be 116 characters or less in order for Twitter to accept it.
characters_reserved_per_media number changes occasionally, but you can always check https://dev.twitter.com/rest/reference/get/help/configuration to see the current character number reserved for each link/image.
I'm getting a "You aren't allowed to add members to this list" error#
This error indicates an issue with how many users you're trying to add to a list in a short span of time. Twitter reports that posting and update limits are adaptive and may vary at times of high traffic, or if the system suspects that something suspicious is going on, so we can't give a definitive answer as to how many additions in 15 minutes (15 minutes is the standard rate limit window for most operations on the Twitter API) will cause you to see this error. What we typically recommend is adding a filter step to your Zap, if possible, to make the criteria for adding a user to the list more selective.
Trigger test isn't pulling a Tweet matching my trigger criteria#
There are two possible reasons why this might happen:
- The Twitter Search API searches only returns Tweets published in the past 7 days, so older Tweets won't come through to Zapier
- If the Tweet was posted by a private account, Zapier isn't able to capture it
Need More Help? - Our support team is happy to help -- send us a message