SMTP Help & Support
What SMTP Triggers and Actions are Supported?
- Send Email - Sends a plaintext email from a specific SMTP server.
How to Get Started with SMTP on Zapier
To connect your email account to Zapier using SMTP, click to connect a new account in Step 2 of your zap.
On the next screen, you'll be asked for several bits of information to finish that configuration:
- Host - This will be the URL for your SMTP server. For example, Gmail's is smtp.gmail.com
- Username - This is typically the username and/or email address you use to log in to your email account
- Password - This is the password you use to log in to your email account
- Use TLS - This is a Yes/No dropdown that determines whether we connect to your account using TLS/SSL. Consult your email provider's SMTP instructions if you aren't sure which you need.
- Port - We let you choose between Port 25(default), 587, 110, or 2525. Consult your email provider's SMTP instructions if you aren't sure which you need.
- From Email - If you try connecting and run into problems, try filling in this field with the email address for your SMTP account.
After you fill all those fields in, you click continue and we'll try to connect to your SMTP account to finish that configuration.
Common Problems with SMTP on Zapier
Can I send HTML messages with a zap using SMTP?#
Yes! To do this, you add the HTML version of your email to the "HTML Body" field on your Zap template.
You need to do this in addition plain text version of your body. The plain text version is then a fall back if the receiving client can't accept HTML.
For tips on writing HTML, check out W3 Schools here: https://www.w3schools.com/html/html_basic.asp
503 5.5.1 RCPT Errors#
If you get an error with "503 5.5.1 RCPT" in the message, this likely means that the email address the zap was trying to send to was empty or invalid. Double check that you have a valid email address in your sample data and task history for that zap, and make changes to the configuration of your zap if you don't.
I am not receiving emails sent by SMTP by Zapier#
When using SMTP by Zapier, the emails are actually being sent by your mailserver. Zapier communicates with it via SMTP to deliver the data from our system, but your mailserver is ultimately sending these emails. You should review your SMTP logs should you need more information about delivery status.
Popular Things to do with SMTP on Zapier
Need More Help? - Our support team is happy to help -- send us a message