Smartsheet Help & Support
What Smartsheet Triggers and Actions are Supported?
- Updated Row - Triggers when a row is updated.
- New Attachment - Triggers when a new attachment is added to a row.
- New Row - Triggers when a new row is added.
- New Comment - Triggers when a new comment is added.
- Copy Workspace - Creates a copy of the specified Workspace.
- Create Workspace - Creates a Workspace.
- Copy Row - Copies row to another sheet.
- Add Discussion to Row - Adds discussion to row.
- New Sheet From Existing Sheet - Create a new sheet from an existing sheet.
- Copy Folder - Copies folder to another destination.
- New Row Update - Update an existing row with new values. Requires a row ID.
- Send Row - Send a row via email.
- Share Workspace - Share a workspace.
- New Sheet From Template - Create a new sheet from a template.
- Add Attachment to Row - Adds a file attachment to a row.
- Move Row - Moves row to another sheet.
- Add Row to Sheet - Add a row to a sheet.
- Send Sheet - Send a sheet via email (as PDF or Excel).
- Share Sheet - Share a sheet.
How to Get Started with Smartsheet
To get started with Smartsheet on Zapier, first you will need to click to connect your Smartsheet account to use with your Zap.
You’ll now be asked to log into your Smartsheet account (unless you are already logged in).
Finally, you will be asked to give Zapier permission to access your account. Click “Authorize” to continue.
If all steps were successful your Smartsheet account will now be successfully connected.
How to Setup your Smartsheet to Work With Zapier
To use Smartsheet with Zapier, we suggest setting up your spreadsheet in a very specific way. This will help better facilitate the setup of this Zap. Pay close attention.
These are the things you'll need from your Smartsheet to optimize it for use with a Zap:
- The first row must have titles for any column headers you want to be able to see in your Zap.
- The second row must have content for any columns you want to be able to see in your Zap.
Other Smartsheet Zap Tips#
- Zaps can add rows to ether the top or the bottom of the spreadsheet depending on your settings
- Do not rename your Column headers. The Zap would be unable to get any data coming from that particular column after renaming.
Working With Smartsheet Fields when editing a Template#
For triggers, each column should be represented by a field you can select in your Zap
For actions, you should have a different action field available for each column
Popular Things To Do With Smartsheet
Common Problems with Smartsheet
Zap is not triggering from new rows of data#
If the Smartsheet connected to the Zap is currently active, new rows added to a Smartsheet won't trigger the Zap.
To trigger from these newly added rows of data, you will either have to:
- Choose another sheet to make the current sheet inactive
- Close the Active sheet
My "Updated Row" trigger is triggering way too many times#
You may be receiving emails warning that your Zap is trying to trigger off too many changes. If this is the case, and you're using the "Updated Row" trigger, ensure that if you add rows to the sheet that you add them to the very bottom of the sheet and not the top or in the middle.
If you add anywhere but the very bottom, every row below it will change its row number -- thus triggering a change en masse.
"There was no data available to create or update a row in Smartsheet. Either the Trigger did not provide any data, or none of the Action fields were mapped to Trigger fields. Please check your configuration."#
The "Add Row to Spreadsheet" and "New Row Update" Actions require that at least one field be filled out in the Zap. If you encountered this error while using one of these Actions, it is possible that during the configuration of the Zap none of the Action fields were mapped (by selecting a dropdown option) or manually filled with values. Alternatively, the Trigger may not have provided any data.
was not found."#
A Smartsheet column used in your Zap may have been deleted from the sheet. You need to edit the Action portion of your Zap to remove any data or mapping from the column in question.
I can't select my Smartsheet attachments or discussions columns.#
There isn't currently a way to match file attachments or discussions for Smartsheet Triggers or Actions.
I am trying to get my Gmail attachment into Smartsheet.#
There isn't currently a way for Smartsheet actions to receive files provided by certain Zapier file-enabled triggers (Gmail and others).
Not all columns from the sheet are displayed during configuration.#
Columns that are locked based on your sharing permission level won't be displayed.
The dates copied from Smartsheet are off by a few hours or a day.#
Date values provided by Smartsheet are not time-zone specific, so using Actions and Triggers that involve date values may not display the results you expect. You can use the Formatter app to modify dates and times as needed.
Updated Row --> Move Row action results in an error even though I'm passing the ID from Step 1#
If you wantSmartsheet has two ID fields, one called
ID and the other called
OriginalID. You'll want to use the
Original ID field for this zap. It should look like this:
Trigger sample results contains a lot of
<No Sample Data> values#
This happens when data has not been "Saved" in a Smartsheet row yet. To fix, enter some data in a row of your Smartsheet, then click the "Save" icon in top-left of the sheet.
I received a scary message from Smartsheet about TLS!#
Smartsheet occasionally sends out messages regarding compatibility with their API. Zapier supports up to TLS 1.2, so we are compatible with Smartsheet's API!
I'm getting the error message of "Value is not supported for this column type. Use objectValue instead."#
In your Smartsheet, make sure all the columns have "Not allow multiple contacts per cell" unticked. As it's not possible supported to add more than 1 contact record to a specific cell.
Need More Help? - Our support team is happy to help -- send us a message