Facebook Lead Ads Help & Support
What Facebook Lead Ads Triggers and Actions are Supported?
How to Get Started with Facebook Lead Ads on Zapier
1. Check your Facebook Lead Ads Account Settings#
Before you can connect your Facebook Lead Ads to Zapier, you will need to check that you have the correct permissions set up in Facebook Business Manager. You’ll need to have admin access for the page() you want to use and the ad account as well as leads access. This can differ depending if your account is a Partners or People account.
If you're having trouble setting these permissions, it probably means you do not have the admin access you need. Speak to your Facebook business admin and they will be able to implement these changes for you. More information on controlling access to your leads can be found in Facebook's documentation.
2. Connecting your Facebook Lead Ads Account to Zapier#
Now that you've got your permissions set up in Facebook Lead Ads, you can now connect your Facebook Lead Ads account to Zapier.
Note - It's expected behaviour for your personal Facebook account to appear, as this is linked to your Business Manager account.
With your account connected, click "Continue".
3. Setting your trigger options#
Here you will need to select the Facebook Page, select the Form you wish to trigger off.
Tip - If you select "Default" on Form this will allow you to trigger on all the forms linked to your Facebook Page.
Alert - If you're not able to see your Facebook Page in the dropdown, follow our instructions in this help doc to fix this.
If all steps were successful your Facebook Lead Ads account will now be successfully connected.
4. Testing your Facebook Lead Ads Zap#
To test your Zap, you can either do this two ways:
1) Use the Test Lead generated by FaceBook. It will be generic and not contain any custom fields.
2) Use the Facebook’s testing tool to create a Lead (it will include any custom fields you have created on your form): Tutorial.
If you run into any issues when trying to test your Zap, check out our Facebook Lead Ads Common Problems page.
Alert - Leads or Test Leads not triggering as expected once the Zap is turned on? Follow our help doc with instructions on how to fix that. If they can see the pages, and don’t get an error when testing, use this troubleshooting tutorial to resolve it.
5. Maintenance for your Facebook Lead Ads Zap#
Changes to your form#
If you make any changes to your form, be sure to re-select it in your trigger options (see Step 3). Note the form will get a new name with any revisions made.
Changes to passwords or permissions on your Facebook account#
Changes to your password or permissions linked to your Facebook Lead Ads will cause for your connection on Zapier to break. If this happens be sure to: - Make sure settings are updated See 1. Check your Facebook Lead Ads Account Settings - Reconnect your account here: https://zapier.com/app/connections
Popular Facebook Lead Ads Integrations
See more Facebook lead ads integrations
Facebook Lead Ads Tips and Tricks
Using the Facebook Lead Ads Testing Tool#
You may need to test Facebook Lead Ads, and you want to use a sample contact other than Facebook would pick up from your login. You can do that using the Facebook Lead Ads Testing Tool.
- Go to Facebook’s Leads Ads Testing Tool here: https://developers.facebook.com/tools/lead-ads-testing/
- Select your Page & Form
- Click on “Delete Lead” (Don’t worry — it won’t delete any live leads, just Facebook’s example lead)
- Click on “Preview Form”
- Fill out your form like normal
- Click "Submit"
Common Problems with Facebook Lead Ads
Facebook Lead Ads Setup
- What account permissions do I need to use Facebook Lead Ads with Zapier?
- I Have a Business Manager Account but Zapier Is Connecting My Personal Facebook Account
- I’m Receiving New Leads in Facebook, but My Zap Is Not Running
- The Page I Need to Use Is Not Showing in My Zap
- My Test Step Sample Doesn't Have My Custom Form Fields
- My Existing Leads in Facebook Didn't Trigger the Zap
- I'm Only Seeing Old Leads When I Use the Test Step to Get Sample Data
- Facebook Lead Ads is returning ad_id as 0
- Facebook Lead Ads gives me a full name but I need first and last
- Error: "CRM access has been revoked from Lead Access Manager"
- Error: "Problem creating webhook subscription" or "Webhook subscription not found"
- Error: "Invalid permission issue with Facebook, ensure this account can access the page."
- Error: "Validating access token: Session does not match current stored session"
- Error: "Custom Audience Terms Not Accepted"
Everything Was Working, but Now It Isn’t
What account permissions do I need to use Facebook Lead Ads with Zapier?#
You’ll need to have admin access for the pages, the ad account and leads access. This is a bit different if you are a partner or if you have been added to the business as an individual.
Account Permissions - Partners Account#
If you are a business partner, you'll want to head to the Partners tab of that business. You can verify your permissions, and if they don't look like this below for the page in question, you'll need to have a Facebook Business Admin give you these permissions:
Manage Ad Account
Account Permissions - People Account#
If you have been added as an individual/employee, you'll want to head to the People tab of that business. You can verify your permissions for Pages and Ad Accounts, and if they don't look like this below for the page in question, you'll need to have a user with an Admin role give you these permissions.
Manage Ad Account
You'll also need Leads Access permissions, which is in a different tab. If you don't see that tab, you'll need an Admin user to do this for you. You need to be added to the People list for the page in question, a screenshot of that is below:
Facebook Lead Ad permissions can be complex, especially with multiple partners and individuals. If you continue to have issues, we recommend you dig into Facebook's guide here.. If you find you're still running into issues, contact support and we'd be happy to help!
I Have a Business Manager Account but Zapier Is Connecting My Personal Facebook Account#
This is expected behavior as your personal Facebook account is linked to your Facebook Lead Ads Business Manager account. Any Pages/Ad Accounts that you've been assigned to in Business Manager are available when you connect your personal Facebook account.
I’m Receiving New Leads in Facebook, but My Zap Is Not Running#
If your Zap is turned on and you are receiving leads in Facebook, but your Zap is not being triggered, there are a few things that you can do to fix this:
1. Page, Ad Account, Lead Access Admin Access#
Check your Facebook account has admin permissions for these three areas. More info can be found here.
2. Re-select your form#
Have you recently changed the name of your form? Re-select the form from the dropdown to refresh your settings:
3. Check the Facebook Lead Ads testing tool for any errors#
- Visit the Lead Ads testing tool page
- Select the Page and Form
- Click "Create Lead"
- Click the "Track Status" button
- Review the section below "Track Status" for any errors or messages
4. CRM Access Permissions for Zapier#
Zapier might not have access to this page. Follow these instructions to update and/or reset your Zapier access here.
The Page I Need to Use Is Not Showing in My Zap#
If you cannot select a page you have adequate permissions for, there may be some cached permissions for that page that need to be updated.
The easiest method to resolve this is to update and/or reset your Zapier access here.
My Test Step Sample Doesn't Have My Custom Form Fields#
If your form has never been used, you'll just see one generic test lead with default fields in your Test Step sample. If you have custom fields you need to use, you can submit a new test lead with this info:
- Visit the Lead Ads testing tool page
- Select the page and form (lead ad) used in this integration
- (Optional) Click on "Preview form" to fill out the form
- Click "Create lead"
- Return to the Zap editor and use the Test Step to get another sample
NOTE: If you've already used this tool to send a lead you'll have to delete that lead before you can submit another one.
My existing leads in Facebook didn't trigger the Zap#
Zapier will not be able to see leads that were created before your Zap was turned on; we can only trigger off of leads that have been newly added to the trigger app.
One workaround to import leads that were created prior to the Zap being turned on is to follow these instructions to download your Facebook leads as a comma-separated values file (CSV file). With a CSV file in-hand, you can semi-manually copy records into a Google Spreadsheet to trigger a Google Spreadsheet Zap. Be wary of rate limits. You can check out this guide for more information on how to do this.
I'm Only Seeing Old Leads When I Use the Test Step to get Sample Data#
If you're trying to get the most recent lead to come through (perhaps because it has a new field you need to use), make sure that you have a specific form selected in the Form menu.
If you don't have a form selected here, Zapier will retrieve samples from your oldest form to your newest form, so likely not a new lead. When you select a form, however, the samples will be retrieved from that form newest to oldest, so you'll be able to use the most recent leads to map appropriate fields.
Facebook Lead Ads Is Returning
This is caused by the lead being sent from the Facebook testing tool. It was not an organic lead. When you map that field, you can expect it to work once the Zap is running.
Facebook Lead Ads gives me a full name but I need first and last#
There are a couple of things you can do if you run into this.
- Change the Lead Ads form to include First Name and Last Name instead of Full name
- Use our Formatter app to split the name into 2 parts:
Error: "CRM access has been revoked from Lead Access Manager"#
To fix this error message, reset the Facebook Leads Access permissions.
Error: "Problem creating webhook subscription" or "Webhook subscription not found"#
Error: "Invalid permission issue with Facebook, ensure this account can access the page."#
- Check your permissions here.
- Once these are verified, update and/or reset your Zapier CRM access here.
Error: "Validating access token: Session does not match current stored session"#
If you're seeing this error, it's likely because you changed your password in Facebook. You'll need to reconnect your account in Zapier. You can do that by going to the Connected Accounts page and clicking the reconnect button next to Facebook Lead Ads, then typing in your credentials.
Error: "Custom Audience Terms Not Accepted"#
When using the action "Create Custom Audience", the Zap returns the following error:
Custom Audience Terms Not Accepted. You'll need to agree to the Custom Audience terms before you can create or edit an audience of CUSTOM type. To accept, go to https://www.facebook.com/ads/manage/customaudiences/tos/
In July 2018, Facebook made a change in their site, which requires all users to acknowledge/approve their Terms of Service before creating any new custom audiences. This will only need to be performed once for your Facebook Leads account.
How to reset CRM access for Zapier#
First, verify these permissions, it's possible an update might work
- Go here and click on Zapier.
- Verify that these settings are turned on for Zapier, and if you have a list of pages, that Zapier has access to the page you want to use in your Zap
- Reconnect Facebook Lead Ads again here, this should update Zapier's view of permissions to the pages you have Lead Access to.
- Test your Zap again. If it continues to not work, do a full reset.
- Go back to this page
- Click on the checkbox next to Zapier and click Remove. Ignore the option to delete posts.
- Reconnect Facebook Lead Ads again here and this will add Zapier back, with default permissions to the pages you have Lead Access to.
- Keep in mind that this full reset will affect all of your Zaps using this user's account while Zapier is disconnected. If you have more than one Zapier account or other people using this Facebook login, you may wish to notify them before you do so.
More information on how to grant more granular permissions can be found in Facebook's guide here. If it's the case that Zapier isn't showing up for you at all after reconnecting, then this tutorial can assist further.
How to reset Facebook Lead Access permissions#
- Navigate to the page in question in Business Manager here:
- Make sure the Facebook account you are using in Zapier has access to this page:
- You (or an Admin) can also reset all Lead Access permissions for that page using “Restore Default Access” at the top-right of the page:
Need More Help? - Our support team is happy to help -- send us a message