Our Commitment to Applicants
By Brandon Sammut • March 1, 2022
We know applying for and taking on a new job requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply to join us at Zapier.
Unfortunately, a typical hiring process can feel vague or unclear. You apply, wait for weeks, and never hear back—and you're left wondering why you applied in the first place. Applying for a new role takes courage, and it's hard to muster that courage when—more often than not—your only reward is silence.
The hiring process at Zapier is different. When you apply for a role, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't see a clear match with one of our open roles. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
In the spirit of Zapier’s Default to Transparency value, here's what happens when you apply for a position at Zapier.
- Applying: When you apply for a role at Zapier, the application is received by our application tracking software, which will send you a confirmation email. You might notice something unique in our application—your resume is optional, and you won’t be asked to enter your various work and educational experiences. Instead, you’ll answer a few questions and perhaps complete a short assessment. We’re less focused on where you’ve been, and more on what you can do.
- Application review: Your application is then reviewed by one of our recruiters based on evidence that demonstrates you have the relevant skills for the job. We automate a lot of things at Zapier, but not our application review—every application is reviewed by a recruiter, and often the hiring manager, before a decision is made. We also evaluate each applicant's written communication skills. We realize that no candidate is flawless, and focus our review on areas where you excel and how those skills will complement the team you’re joining. You should hear from us within a week of applying.
- Recruiter screen: If based on your application you appear to be a great addition to the team, a recruiter will reach out to set up a time to connect with you live. Recruiters use this time with you to learn more about your background, skill set, and goals for your next job. The recruiter will also discuss the compensation range and other benefits of working at Zapier with you. After the recruiter screen, recruiters are committed to providing you with an update within seven days (but usually sooner!).
- Job fit interview: If during the recruiter screen we confirm that your background seems well-aligned for the role and team, your recruiter will schedule 45-60 minutes for you to chat with the hiring manager. Here you'll be asked questions that give you space to talk about relevant experience for the role. As importantly, you’ll have time to ask the hiring manager questions. At Zapier, we believe interviews work in both directions—this means you’ll have ample time to evaluate whether Zapier matches the values and opportunities you want in your next company. Your recruiter will follow up with you within seven days after the job fit interview to provide you with an update on whether you’re moving to the next step.
- Skills interview: After talking with the hiring manager, you'll do a skills interview with the hiring team. Typically this interview is done over a Zoom video call, or a take-home skills test where applicable, sometimes both. This is a practical evaluation to see if you have the relevant skills to succeed in the role. You won't be evaluated on skills that don't matter, and we won’t ask you to work on a project for Zapier. That means no whiteboard algorithm quizzes, and no questions about how many golf balls could fit inside a school bus. For some positions, we'll also evaluate relevant skills by inviting you to do a short exercise outside of the live interview.
- Final decision: After the final interview, we evaluate each candidate who made it to this stage, and the hiring team makes a decision. If multiple candidates meet our hiring bar, we'll select the person who we think is the best addition to the team, and then ask for references. If no candidates meet the hiring bar, we interview additional candidates starting at step two. When it comes to hiring, we’re willing to wait for a great match. In practice, this means that if you receive an offer from Zapier, we think you meet all core qualifications, align with our values, and would be a tremendous addition to the team.
- Reference and background checks: During the reference check—which, in typical Zapier fashion, is partially automated—we use our system, Searchlight, to reach out to the references you provide to get a better idea of what it's like to work with you. We also run a background check via Hireright. We promise that we will never reach out to your current employer without your permission.
- Offer: Once references are complete, we'll make an offer to you including details about salary, benefits, and other relevant details. Your offer will be determined by the salary range for the role, your relevant experience, and the skills you demonstrate during the hiring process. In addition to base salary, you’ll receive information on your bonus potential and equity package. We aim to make a competitive offer the first time around. Hopefully, you'll accept!
The last thing we want you to know about our approach to compensation is that our focus on competitive, equitable pay doesn’t end once you join the team. At Zapier, we don't believe that the only way to increase your pay is to leave your job. Instead, we revisit your compensation regularly as you show greater competency, and also in response to changes in the market. As your impact grows at Zapier, so will your compensation.
Please note that while we try to follow this standard interview process, some higher-level or managerial positions require a few extra steps. Your recruiter will communicate the steps of the process with you so that you know what to expect.
At each point in this process, we promise not to go silent on you. We strive to never go more than seven days without letting you know the status of your application. We know we’ll make mistakes from time to time, so if you ever have questions about where you stand or about the process, just ask your recruiter!
Thank you for considering a career at Zapier, and we hope this will encourage you to take that leap of faith and send in an application.