Clio Help & Support
What Clio Triggers and Actions are Supported?
- New Document - Triggers when a new document is created.
- New Communication - Triggers when a new communication is created.
- New Matter Note - Triggers when a new matter note is created.
- Task Status Updated - Triggers when the status of a task has changed.
- New Bill - Triggers when a new bill is created.
- New Task - Triggers when a new task is created.
- New Calendar Entry - Triggers when a new calendar entry is created.
- Matter Status Updated - Triggers when the status of a matter has changed.
- New Matter - Triggers when a new matter is created.
- New Contact - Triggers when a new contact is created.
- Bill State Updated - Triggers when the state of a bill has changed.
- New Activity - Triggers when a new activity is created.
- Create Matter Note - Creates a new matter note.
- Update Person Contact - Updates an existing person contact.
- Update Company Contact - Updates an existing company contact.
- Create Matter Folder - Creates a new folder in a matter.
- Create Communication - Creates a new communication.
- Create Task - Creates a new task.
- Update Matter - Update an existing matter.
- Assign Task Template List - Assign a Task Template List.
- Create Matter - Creates a new matter.
- Create Expense Entry (Activity) - Creates a new expense entry.
- Create Time Entry (Activity) - Creates a new time entry.
- Update Task - Updates a task.
- Create Company Contact - Creates a company contact.
- Create Person Contact - Creates a person contact.
- Create Calendar Entry - Creates a new calendar entry.
- Find Matter - Find a matter by display number, description, or client name.
- Find Company Contact - Find a Company Contact, by name, email or phone number.
- Find User - Find a user by name.
- Find Person Contact - Find a person contact by first name, last name, email or phone number.
How to Get Started with Clio on Zapier
When creating a new Zap, it’s easy to connect your Clio account. When prompted to choose a Clio account, you are given the option to Change the account name in Zapier. This name is meant to help you identify the accounts that you connect Zapier to.
You'll also want to select the region of Clio you normally use. Select https://app.goclio.com if you normally sign in to https://app.goclio.com (most users), or select https://app.goclio.eu if you normally sign in at https://app.goclio.eu.
Next, you will have to log in with your Clio email and password if you are not already logged in to Clio.
Once logged in, you will be prompted to connect Clio with Zapier. Click “Yes, let’s connect” to authorize the connection.
Zapier will now be connected to your Clio account and you can continue creating your Zap.
Popular Things To Do With Clio
Clio Advanced Tips
Clio Actions that Look for a Matter Number#
Some Clio Actions require or give the option to add a Matter. While these Actions work easily with Clio Triggers, you can also use other app Triggers that have fields where you are able to enter the Matter number manually. For example, you can create a Zap that allows you to email to a Matter Note as long as you map the email Subject line to the Matter field in the Trigger (and you enter the appropriate Matter number in the Subject of the email).
Modifying Dates on Task and Calendar Entry Actions#
When creating a Clio Task or Calendar Entry you may want to modify the “event” or “due” date in the Action. To do so, first map the Due, Start at, or End at fields to an available date option (i.e. a created or updated date; as provided by your selected Trigger app), then add a date modifier. To add a number of days, use a plus sign. To go back a number of days, use a minus sign.
+7d – seven days after the date mapped in the field.
-7d – seven days before the date mapped in the field.
Mapping First and Last Name on a Create Person Action#
When creating a new Person Contact in Clio, both a first and last name are required. When setting up a Create Person Action, you will only be provided with a single Name field. This field can accommodate both the first and last names. You can map the Name field to either a single Trigger field that contains both names, or you can map to separate fields for first name and last name if supported by the Trigger application.
Name formats that will be recognized are:
Common Problems with Clio
I don't see all my messages in Clio through Zapier#
Chances are you are trying to retrieve "secure messages" which are never viewable outside of the Clio interface. Zapier cannot trigger on or work with secure messages at this time.
A Search step (e.g. Find Contact) is only returning the ID field and nothing else#
This happens for users that connected their Clio account to Zapier a long time ago. To fix, reconnect the Clio account at https://zapier.com/app/settings/authorizations, or create a brand new connection.
Need More Help? - Our support team is happy to help -- send us a message