Clio - Features, Pricing, Alternatives, and More
Legal work has deadlines, tasks that need done, and time on work that needs tracked, just like any other consulting-type job. There are expenses to track, logs to maintain, and internal messages that everyone on your team needs easy access to.
But most importantly, there are documents to track. Every legal case comes with countless documents, each one needing to be sorted into the correct place so you can find it again. There may be reams of paper, but you'll also want a digital copy—and increasingly, the most important documents may be digital anyhow, perhaps copies of emails or template documents you've created yourself.
Clio is designed to manage it all. It's a legal practice management software to track all of your team's documents and communications—while also letting you know when you might miss a meeting, giving you a list of today's tasks, and tracking how much your team has invoiced this month. It'll keep you on track for the tasks you need to do next, with the info about your past work all in one place.
You'll start out by adding your clients and organizing their info into matters. Each matter includes everything about that case: your client info, tasks, events, notes, communications, documents, and more. The top of the matter shows quick metrics about the case, including the time you've spent on it and the expenses you're billing the client for. And at the top of the page, you can quickly create bills, trust requests, and more for the case.
Keeping your research and communications synced to Clio is simple, too. Each matter includes its own email address, so when talking to clients you can CC Clio and have your conversations logged automatically. Clio can sync your case files from Dropbox and Google Drive as well, with automated filing rules to sort documents into the correct folders and tag them to the correct matter. It can even help you generate standard documents your firm needs to draw up for clients with your own customized templates. And when you need to pull in outside research and legal documentation, the Fastcase integration will let you pull it in from Clio.
It's not just documents and appointments; you'll also need to bill for the time you spend on cases. Clio can track the time you spend working, logging it to your clients and matters automatically. You can add expenses or extra time spent on the case, and pull it together into bills for your clients that can be paid directly via credit card from Clio. You'll then have your full case records in one place, complete with the payment info that closed the deal.
Your legal team's most important work isn't filing documents and planning meetings—it's working on your actual cases. Clio keeps all of your most important info in one place, so you can focus on that without having to worry about everything else.
Do More With Clio
Zapier allows you to instantly connect Clio with 1,500+ apps to automate your work and find productivity super powers.
- Keep all of your legal practice's documents, notes, records, and more in Clio's automated document management
- Track time your team spends on case work
- Create invoices and bills for clients, and let them pay online
- Connect your most important apps, adding accounting info to QuickBooks Online or Xero, looking up legal research in Fastcase, and saving your appointments to Google Calendar and Outlook
- Find anything you need about each case with matter management
- iOS and Android apps available
- $49/month per user Starter plan for case management, hourly and flat fee billing, custom invoices, time tracking, and task management
- $69/month per user Boutique plan for starter plan features plus accounting integrations, online payments, custom fields, and document automation
- $109/month per user Elite plan for starter and boutique plan features plus court calendaring rules, matter budgets, campaign tracker, advanced task management and reporting, and priority support
Annual plans cost $39, $59, and $99/month, respectively