Xero Help & Support
What Xero Triggers and Actions are Supported?
- New Expense Claim Receipt - Triggered when you add a new draft expense claim receipt.
- New Payment - Triggered when you receive a new payment.
- New Bill - Triggered when you add a new bill. (Accounts Payable)
- New Sales Invoice - Triggered when you add a new sales invoice. (Accounts Receivable)
- New Contact - Triggered when you add a new contact.
- Create Sales Invoice - Creates a new sales invoice (Accounts Receivable).
- Create/Update Contact - Creates a new contact or updates a contact if a contact already exists.
- Create Purchase Order - Creates a new purchase order for a contact.
- Create Credit Note - Creates a new credit note for a contact.
- Create Bill - Creates a new bill (Accounts Payable).
- Create Payment - Applies a payment to an invoice.
How to Get Started with Xero on Zapier
About Xero's Integration#
- Admin/owner permissions: Standard or Adviser level rights
- Paid/versioned account: Paid
- Custom field support: N/A
- Partner’s documentation: N/A
Connecting with Xero#
The first thing you'll need to do is connect your Xero Account to Zapier. This is a simple process that we'll start for you when making your first Zap, all you do is click "connect your Account":
Then Zapier will ask you to give your Account a name. It doesn't matter what you call it because this is just a handy label for you to recognize it later in case you have multiple Xero accounts or companies to connect:
The next page may ask you to sign into Xero if you haven't already:
Next, Xero will ask you to confirm your intention to connect Xero to Zapier, just select whichever company you'd like to connect and click authorize. You'll be redirected back to Zapier automatically after that.
Finally, your Account is added! We'll automatically test it and ensure everything is good to go. You can now continue to connect your account.
Common Problems with Xero
How do I use line items with Xero?#
To use line items in Zapier, you'll usually want to ensure that both the trigger and the action you're using have line item support on Zapier.
In Zapier's Xero integration, the “New Payment,” “New Bill,” and “New Sales Invoice” triggers offer line item support, as do the “Create Bill,” “Create Sales Invoice,” and “Create Purchase Order” actions.
If you want to learn more about how line items work, read our Guide to Line Items here.
I can't connect my Xero account#
The Xero account you're connecting with must have either Standard or Advisor level rights in order to use the Xero API, which is required for connecting with Zapier. Read-only, Invoice Only, and Cashbook Client roles don't have the ability to use the API.
My account keeps getting disconnected#
This can happen if a second connection to Xero from the same account has taken place. If, under a separate Zapier account, you try to connect to the same organisation in Xero, this will replace the previous connection. To resolve, only connect your Xero account to one Zapier account.
Error: A validation exception occurred, The TaxType field is mandatory, Account code must be specified.#
Non-US customers will often get this error when creating an invoice in Xero. To fix this, make sure to fill out a Line Account Code in the action:
Even though the field is marked Optional, Xero requires it in certain cases.
Popular Things To Do With Xero
Need More Help? - Our support team is happy to help -- send us a message