Intercom Help & Support
What Intercom Triggers and Actions are Supported?
- New User - Triggers when a new user is created.
- Lead Added Email - Triggers when a Lead enters an email address.
- New Lead - Triggers when a new Lead is created.
- New Closed Conversation - Triggers when you close a conversation. (Note: The "Reply and close" button won't trigger this. You must reply and then close the conversation separately).
- Lead Converted to User - Triggers when a lead converts to a user.
- New Company - Triggers when a new Company is created.
- Tag Added to Conversation - Triggers when a new tag is added to a conversation in Intercom.
- New Unsubscription - Triggers when a user unsubscribes from Intercom.io emails.
- Tag Added to Lead - Triggers when a lead is tagged.
- Tag Added to User - Triggers when a user is tagged.
- New Conversation - Triggers when a new conversation is created by a user in Intercom.
- Add/Remove Tag on User - Attach or remove a tag on a specific user.
- Create/Update User - Update a user within Intercom given their e-mail address.
- Update Company - Updates a company within Intercom. If you'd like to create a company, use this action in conjunction with a Find/Create step.
- Add/Remove Tag on Company - Attach or remove a tag from a specific company.
- Send Incoming Message - Send a message from a user into your Intercom app. Note: you must have a valid plan on Intercom to access this action.
- Create/Update Lead - Create or update an Intercom lead. If an ID is provided, the lead will be updated.
- Create User - Creates a new user in your Intercom app.
- Add Note - Add a note to a user.
- Add Event - Tags a user with an event that occurred.
- Add/Remove Tag on Lead - Attach or remove a tag on a specific lead.
- Find Company - Finds an existing company.
- Find User - Finds an existing user.
- Find Lead - Finds an existing Lead.
How To Get Started With Intercom
To get started with Intercom on Zapier, first you will need to click to connect your Intercom account to use with your Zap.
You’ll now be asked to log into your Intercom account (unless you are already logged in).
Finally, you will be asked to give Zapier permission to access your account. You can select a different Intercom app from the dropdown on the top-right side.
Click “Connect” to continue.
If all steps were successful your Intercom account will now be successfully connected.
Popular Things To Do With Intercom
Common Problems with Intercom
I'm getting an "Not authorized to access resource" error#
This is an issue with permissions for your Intercom API Key. Make sure the API key connected to Zapier has both read and write access.
Some of my custom attributes are missing#
In Intercom, you can have user custom attributes or company custom attributes. The New User trigger will only send the user custom attributes. Even though it does send some basic information about the company, it will not include company custom attributes.
New conversations aren't triggering#
This trigger will trigger if a conversation is with a user OR if the conversation is initiated by a lead. If you're popping up an automated message that a lead responds to, then this conversation will not trigger the zap.
Another reason for a conversation not triggering is assignment rules. Unfortunately, if you have assignment rules picking up conversations, that'll stop them from triggering the zap.
Not all users are triggering my zap#
If you have the Intercom Respond product, it means some visitors to your site can interact with you via chat, before they sign up. Those are called "Leads" in Intercom and will use the New Lead trigger. If those leads then sign up, they are now users. However, they won't show up on the New User trigger. They can be caught using the Lead Converted to User trigger. Using these two together should give you all your "users".
Create/Update User action is creating duplicate users#
The user has to match on both email and User ID, so if the user's email or user ID changed, a new user will be created. There are three possible scenarios:
- User does not exist. The Create/Update User action sends an email and User ID. A new user gets created with those attributes.
- User exists but does not have a user ID set. The Create/Update User action sends the email and User ID. The match is done on the email and the User ID is added to the existing user.
- User exists and has a user ID set. The Create/Update User action sends the email and User ID. If both match, it'll update the record. If either does not match, it'll create a new record. If you only send the email, it'll update the record.
My "Lead Converted to User" trigger is not firing#
One reason why the webhook may not fire is because the User the Lead was merged into already existed.The webhook triggers when a 'Lead signs up to your app'. If the user record already exists, Intercom make the assumption that they already signed up and doesn't fire the webhook. However, if a lead is converted to a user that didn't previously exist, Intercom will fire the webhook.
My created company isn't showing up in Intercom#
When a company is created in Intercom (via a "Find or Create Company" step for instance) it won't show up in Intercom's UI until a user has been associated with that company. This can be done via the "Create/Update User" action. Once a user has been associated to a company, the company should show up in Intercom.
Need More Help? - Our support team is happy to help -- send us a message