- Bold text: wrap your text with asterisks (*).
- Italic text: wrap your text with underscores (_).
- Strikethrough text: wrap your text with tildes (~).
- Inline code blocks that are a single word or line: wrap your text with a single backtick (`).
inline code block
- For inline code blocks that are a block of text: wrap your text with three backticks.
inline code block text block
- For blockquotes: start the blockquote with a closing angle bracket (>).
- Ordered lists: type the number, a period (.), and a space before your text.
1. ordered list
- Bulleted list: type an asterisk and a space before your text.
* bulleted list
URL links are automatically hyperlinked in Slack without additional formatting.
To display link text instead of the URL:
- Type an open angle bracket (<), your URL link, a pipe character (|), your link text, and a closing angle bracket.
Link text will include spaces between words.
No special formatting is required. To add a new line, use the return (enter) key on your keyboard.
You can enter only enter a single new line between lines of text. Two or more consecutive new lines is not supported.
- Wrap the name of the emoji in colons (:).
- User mentions: type an open angle bracket, the at symbol (@), the user’s Slack member ID, and a closing angle bracket.
- “Everyone” notification (notifies everyone in your workspace in the #general channel): type an open angle bracket, an exclamation point (!), “everyone”, and a closing angle bracket.
- “Here” notification (notifies active members in a specific channel): type an open angle bracket, an exclamation point (!), “here”, and a closing angle bracket.
- “User group” notification (notifies all members of a user group): type an open angle bracket, an exclamation point (!), type in “subteam” , a caret symbol (^), the user group ID, and a closing angle bracket.
To find a user’s Slack member ID:
- Select the user’s Slack profile.
- Click More.
- Copy the member ID by clicking Copy member ID and paste it into your Zap.
To find a user group ID:
- Open Slack in your web browser.
- Select People & user groups from the left-hand menu.
- In the People window, select the User groups tab.
- Select the user group you want to mention.
- In the web page URL, copy the alphanumeric ID that follows
/user_groups/. This is the user group ID.
Your workspace may disable notifications. Contact your Slack administrator to verify if notifications are enabled.