We cover a lot in this guide because quality content is important to us. If you only need a refresher or an overview, here are the important points.
Good content is:
Voice and Tone
Zapier’s voice is:
- Encouraging but not pushy
- Relaxed but not indifferent
- Confident but not cocky
- Fun but not campy
- Clever but not crude
- Helpful but not domineering
- Write like you talk. Close your eyes and imagine saying this to someone, face-to-face. Be conversational. Ask questions. Use contractions. Read your work out-loud before you publish it.
- Put yourself in the reader’s shoes. What’s important to the reader at this exact moment? Where’d they come from, and where do they want to go?
- Use examples. Make them specific to the reader’s experience. If you know they’re a Facebook user, talk to them about Facebook.
- Be brief. Get to the point. Work hard to trim unneeded words from your sentences. Never use a confusing word when a simple one will do.