Toggl - Features, Pricing, Alternatives, and More
When you're working on the clock and spending every minute focused on a project that's billed by the hour, you'll eventually forget to track your time. And if you manage a team of people who bill by the hour, don't even think about trying to organize everyone's timeslips at the end of the month. It's a stressful and error-prone endeavor. Thankfully Toggl makes it easy.
Toggl is one of the best time tracking apps for freelancers and teams. It aims to fix problems related to tracking time spent on task by making it as simple as possible.
Toggl allows you to create projects, clients, teams, and tags so that when you track your time, it's logged and categorized appropriately. Launch its web app, and Toggl asks what you're working on. Type in your current task, and if you've done the same task before, autofill suggestions appear. Press enter or click the Start button, and a timer begins recording your time. When you start the timer, you can add a description to your current task or associate it with a project, or you can fill in more details later.
No matter where you work, Toggl has an option for you to log your time. There are apps for Mac, Windows, and Linux, as well as mobile apps for iOS and Android, which means you can log time spent working even in meetings or while traveling. A smart Chrome extension adds a Toggl button and timer to dozens of web apps you might already use for work, such as Trello, GitHub, Google Docs, and others. Seeing the Toggl button appear in your everyday productivity apps can become an excellent and simple reminder to record your time.
When you forget to launch a timer at the start of a task or neglect to turn it off after you finish, it's no problem. With Toggl, you can manually enter time spent working in the past, import time logs from a spreadsheet, and edit entries you've already recorded.
Toggl also makes it easy to generate invoices and run reports at the close of a month or a project. You can organize timesheets by project, sub-project, and whether the hours are billable or non-billable, complete with color-coding to make the information easy to recognize at a glance. Dashboards show you graphs of where you or your team's time went, the grand total of your billable hours, as well as which team member was most productive this week. It can even export timesheets into reports, which you can share with your team or clients, giving them total visibility into who worked on what and for how long.
The mark of a great time-tracking app is that it creates a record of where you and your team spend your working hours, without taking up any more of your time. Toggl certainly succeeds at that.
- Record time spent on tasks with one click
- Manage time use across a team and across projects
- Generate professional reports
- Use the Pomodoro time-management method with Toggl's Chrome extension
- Apps for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, web, plus app and browser plugins
- Free account for tracking time for up to 5 users, with feature limitations
- $10/month per person Starter account for unlimited team size, billable rates, time estimates, and advanced reporting
- $20/month per person Premium account for Starter features plus insights and one Toggl special feature of your choice
- $59/month per person Enterprise account for unlimited special features, team reminders, scheduled reports, timesheets, audits, and priority support
Plans cost $9, $18, $49/month per person, respectively, if paid annually.